Again, this entire story is not even the point of this post, but I had to share that little tidbit so that posterity will know that March 3rd is Teddy's birthday since there is no official documentation of this momentous occasion. So now to the point of the post...Let's rewind.
Monday night around 10 p.m., Matt went to take the trash out and found a very unexpected package on our front porch. He brought it inside asking what I had ordered (probably thinking about how he doesn't have a job any more so I really shouldn't be shopping on-line unless it is an absolute necessity. He didn't actually say these thoughts outloud, but I am sure he was thinking them). I looked at the box and saw it was from See's candy--now as much as I love See's candy, I know I didn't order anything from the said company. I mean I think we all know that if I was craving See's candy, which I do often, I would just drive myself down the street 10 minutes and pick some up at the store (I love having a store close-by). So upon further inspection of the package, we found that while the address was indeed our address, the name of the recipient was not us. This package of sweets was intended for one Yvette Mahoney. Well, we knew nobody by this name, but there was a local phone number listed for Yvette. So I decided to call her in the morning figuring the house number was incorrect, and I could deliver this package to its proper owner, who most likely lived in my neighborhood.
The following morning, I tried calling the phone number listed only to get the "this number has been disconnected" recording. So I called See's. I spoke with a very nice lady named Mary. I explained the situation to Mary, and she tried to figure out if there was an error with the address and such. It soon became evident that the sender of the chocolates had given See's the wrong address and contact information for Yvette. So guess what Mary said? She told me that what she wanted me to do was open up that box of chocolates and enjoy, and they would find out the correct address for the Mahoney's and send them a new box. I protested only once, but when she again insisted that I simply enjoy the chocolates, I accepted with secret delight. I opened the box and found a beautiful large (meaning 2 lb. worth) gold fancy box of chocolates--we are talking about a nearly $40 box of assorted sweets, and it was mine for FREE! Along with the candy was a note from the sender that said
The next day, I called See's to make sure that the Mahoney's would indeed be getting a new box of candy. The lady at See's explained that since the problem with the address had not been their error, they would not pay the shipping to send a new box out to the Mahoney's. When she originally contacted them to let them know that they would need to pay the shipping for a new box, they said that they couldn't possibly afford to pay the shipping for the new box of candy. I was a little dismayed because I wondered how they couldn't afford a few dollars shipping first of all, but also felt a little bit guilty that I was enjoying their chocolate when they couldn't afford such a luxury themselves. The lady at See's assured me that I had done nothing wrong, and that I was indeed supposed to have opened the box to enjoy. She couldn't believe that Frank had shown up at our door asking for the candy either. She said that Pam (the sender) must have told him that she accidentally had it shipped to their previous address because See's wouldn't share that information with them. She assured me that Pam would be paying the shipping to send another box of candy to the Mahoney's (which they should have known so why did they show up on my doorstep knowing that another box would be coming soon???). She then ended the conversation by telling me that I should just continue to enjoy the candy...and guess what? I did!
5 comments:
Alicia, that's crazy!! I can't believe he came to your house. They must have really been craving chocolate right then!! I'm glad you got to enjoy some yourself.
Wow...that's quite a story! I'm so glad it had a happy ending.
Mmmm...now I'm craving some chocolates. Thank goodness I don't have a See's store close by!
What a crazy story! I can not believe that the guy came back!
What a funny story! I have just been catching up on the stories of your family and realized that you have our blog on your sidebar, but we went private recently and I don't think I have either of your email addresses to send you an invite! I didn't mean to block you out! Email me at theaddamsblog@gmail.com if you are interested :) And keep enjoying those chocolates!
Amber
So now I'm wondering why a few of those beloved chocolates didn't make the trip to Idaho? Hmmm...oh, well. Just made a pan of brownies for the fireside...maybe there will be some leftover.
Post a Comment